I wanted to shoot this email to you while it was somewhat fresh in this mind. Something that you shared either with me or in my presence and something that JS said at the 2007 prophecy school caused me to need to clarify. I’m not exactly certain as to how you represented it, but you were tying Islam to four winds of strife that were to blow. I do not see any correlation to the four angels of Revelation seven and wondered what I might have misunderstood. Forgive the intrusion but I need to just clarify. God bless you friend! WS.
I will identify the prophetic points where Islam as the third woe and the winds of strife can be defended. It is when you bring these points together, line upon line, that you develop the complete picture of Islam in Bible prophecy.
- The Ancient People—In connection with Christ portraying the end from the beginning, He identifies that He appointed the ancient people to illustrate the end of the world.
Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them show unto them. Isaiah 44:6, 7.
- The Prophecy of Islam—Prophecy identifies Islam’s role as an ancient people at the end of the world in Genesis 16:12 as a people that “will be against every man”.
And the angel of the Lord said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren. Genesis 16:1012.
- Islam as a subject of Prophecy—The pioneers of Adventism identify Islam as the subject of the first and second woe. Sister White endorses the pioneer understanding of Islam as the first and second woe at least nine different times.
- The Pioneer Understanding of Islam—The pioneers illustrated Islam with a warhorse on both the 1843 and 1850 charts.
“I have seen that the 1843 chart was directed by the hand of the Lord, and that it should not be altered; that the figures were as He wanted them; that His hand was over and hid a mistake in some of the figures, so that none could see it, until His hand was removed.” Early Writings, 74.
“I saw that God was in the publishment of the chart by Brother Nichols. I saw that there was a prophecy of this chart in the Bible, and if this chart is designed for God’s people, if it [is] sufficient for one it is for another, and if one needed a new chart painted on a larger scale, all need it just as much.” Manuscript Releases, volume 13, 359.
- Troublous Times—As the great reformatory movements parallel and prefigure Adventism at the end of the world, the waymark of the fourth angel parallels the history of the building of the walls and streets by Nehemiah. Nehemiah’s work was accomplished in “troublous times”. Islam represents the troublous times in the history of the fourth angel and as such, is also represented as the angering of the nations of the third woe found in Revelation 11:18, as well as the distress of nations of Luke 21:25. The “troublous times” are a subject of prophecy, and Islam’s role is to produce these troublous times that occur during the sealing of the 144,000.
- Revelation Nine’s Symbol of Islam— Islam is represented as a warhorse that brings warfare against the armies of Rome in the first and second woe of Revelation nine. The pioneers symbolically represent Islam as war horses on both the 1843 and 1850 charts.
And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle. Revelation 9:7.
- The Winds of Strife—Sister White identifies the winds of strife as an angry horse, in spite of no identification of a horse in Revelation 7:1–3. The angry horse bears death and destruction, and this truth is set forth in connection with the sealing of God’s people in the last days.
“Angels are holding the four winds, represented as an angry horse seeking to break loose and rush over the face of the whole earth, bearing destruction and death in its path.
“Shall we sleep on the very verge of the eternal world? Shall we be dull and cold and dead? Oh, that we might have in our churches the Spirit and breath of God breathed into His people, that they might stand upon their feet and live. We need to see that the way is narrow, and the gate strait. But as we pass through the strait gate, its wideness is without limit.
“We need now to arise and shine, for our light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon us. We have no time to talk of self, no time to become like the sensitive plant, that cannot be touched without shrinking. In Jesus Christ is our sufficiency. Will we talk faith? Will we talk of the glorious hope, of the full and abundant righteousness of Jesus Christ, provided for every soul? I tell you in the name of the Lord God of Israel that all injurious, discouraging influences are held in control by unseen angel hands, until every one that works in the fear and love of God is sealed in his forehead.” Manuscript Releases, volume 20, 216–217. 8.
- The Restraining of the Winds of Strife— “‘The commencement of that time of trouble,’ here mentioned does not refer to the time when the plagues shall begin to be poured out, but to a short period just before they are poured out, while Christ is in the sanctuary. At that time, while the work of salvation is closing, trouble will be coming on the earth, and the nations will be angry, yet held in check so as not to prevent the work of the third angel. At that time the ‘latter rain,’ or refreshing from the presence of the Lord, will come, to give power to the loud voice of the third angel, and prepare the saints to stand in the period when the seven last plagues shall be poured out.” Supplement to Early Writings, 85.
At the time when “latter rain” or “refreshing” comes “to give power to the loud cry of the third angel”, “trouble” or the angering of “the nations” will “be coming on the earth”. “Yet” at that time the angry nations will be “held in check” so as to “not prevent the work of the third angel”.
The time of the latter rain is also the time of the angering of the nations. It has been prefigured by the troublous times of Nehemiah. Yet that period of time begins when the angry nations are restrained. The restraining of the angry nations occurs at the very time when the winds of strife are restrained, marking the beginning of the sealing time of the 144,000. The sealing of the 144,000 is the “work of the third angel” which takes place when “the work of salvation is closing”.
“Especially in the closing work for the church, in the sealing time of the one hundred and forty-four thousand, who are to stand without fault before the throne of God, will they feel most deeply the wrongs of God’s professed people.” Review and Herald, June 8, 1886.
The prophetic starting point of the sealing of the 144,000 is marked by the restraining of the winds of strife and the angry nations. This starting point also marks when the latter rain begins to sprinkle. During the sprinkling of the latter rain the wheat and tares of Adventism are still together.
“Unless we are daily advancing in the exemplification of the active Christian virtues, we shall not recognize the manifestations of the Holy Spirit in the latter rain. It may be falling on hearts all around us, but we shall not discern or receive it.” Testimonies to Ministers, 507.
One function of the latter rain is to revive God’s people. This fact identifies that the latter rain begins to fall when both the wise and foolish virgins of Adventism are sleeping.
“As the third message swells to a loud cry, and as great power and glory attend the closing work, the faithful people of God will partake of that glory. It is the latter rain which revives and strengthens them to pass through the time of trouble. Their faces will shine with the glory of that light which attends the third angel.” Testimonies, volume 1, 353.
“Revival signifies a renew al of spiritual life, a quickening of the powers of mind and heart , a resurrection from spiritual death.” Selected Messages, book 1, 128.
If we wait to be revived until the Sunday law, we will be lost!
The latter rain revives us, therefore identifying that the latter rain must first awaken the believer from “spiritual death”. The restraining of the winds of strife marks the beginning of the sealing of the 144,000. It marks the beginning of the closing work of the third angel. The loud cry of the third angel is accomplished when the angel of Revelation eighteen joins the third angel. Sister White compares the history of the loud cry of the third angel with both the history of the Millerites and Pentecost.
“The angel who unites in the proclamation of the third angel’s message is to lighten the whole earth with his glory. A work of world-wide extent and unwonted power is here foretold. The Advent movement of 1840-44 was a glorious manifestation of the power of God; the first angel’s message was carried to every missionary station in the world, and in some countries there was the greatest religious interest which has been witnessed in any land since the Reformation of the sixteenth century; but these are to be far exceeded by the mighty movement under the last warning of the third angel.
“The work will be similar to that of the day of Pentecost.” The Great Controversy, 611.
The outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the history of Pentecost began with a sprinkling that preceded the full outpouring on the day of Pentecost.
“The act of Christ in breathing upon his disciples the Holy Ghost, and in imparting his peace to them, was as a few drops before the plentiful shower to be given on the day of Pentecost.” The Spirit of Prophecy, volume 3, 242.
“Before He left His disciples, Christ “breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost.” John 20:22. Again He said, “Behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you.” Luke 24:49. But not until after the ascension was the gift received in its fullness. Not until through faith and prayer the disciples had surrendered themselves fully for His working was the outpouring of the Spirit received. Then in a special sense the goods of heaven were committed to the followers of Christ.” Christ’s Object Lessons, 328.
The sprinkling of the latter rain begins before the Sunday law. At the Sunday law the church will be purified, for then the wheat and the tares are separated and then the Holy Spirit will be poured out without measure. When the closing work of the third angel begins the winds of strife and the angry nations are restrained, thus marking the time when the latter rain begins to sprinkle and the sealing of the 144,000 begins.
- The Restraining of Islam—Islam of the second woe was restrained on August 11, 1840 by the four great European powers. The prophecy in Revelation 9:14, 15 that identifies the restraining of Islam in 1840 lasted for a day month hour and year, or 391 years 15 days. In the prophecy there were four angels prepared to bring warfare during that time-period against the armies of Rome. Those four angels of Islam were released on July 27, 1449 and on August 11, 1840 those four angels of Islam were restrained.
- The Millerite History is Repeated—Recognizing that he Millerite history is repeated identifies that it was a prophetic message from one of the woe trumpets that was used by the Lord to empower the first angel’s message in 1840. It is reasonable then to expect that a prophetic message from a woe trumpet will empower God’s people at the end of time when the Millerite history is repeated.
Sister White identifies 1840–1844 as a history that prefigures the sealing time of the 144,000 and that has also been prefigured by the history of Pentecost in The Great Controversy, 611. The history of 1840–1844 is a type of the sealing time of the 144,000 just as the history of Pentecost is a type of the sealing of the 144,000. The Millerite history that prefigures the sealing of the 144,000 began when Islam was restrained.
The empowerment of the Millerites was accomplished when the four great European powers came together to decide the fate of Islam. On September 11, 2001 he entire world (and the number four represents worldwide in Bible prophecy) came together to decide the fate of Islam. When the four European powers dealt with Islam in 1840 they restrained Islam, and since September 11, 2001 the world has placed a restraint upon Islam.
- Daniel 11:40—Daniel 11:40 contains a prophetic history that parallels the history of Revelation 9:1–3 where a long drawn out war between Persia and Rome is identified as the key that allowed Islam to rise into history. The long drawn out war between the king of the north and the king of the south in verse forty parallels that history, and when the Soviet Union was brought down in 1989, the key that allows modern Islam to return into prophetic history had been turned. In Revelation 9:1–3 we see the information concerning the key, and then in the next verse (verse four) we see a reference to the sealing of God’s people. Just as the collapse of the Soviet Union in fulfillment of verse forty was the key for modern Islam to return into prophetic history the following verse identifies the Sunday law in the USA when the seal is demonstrated.
And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. Revelation 9:4.
He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon. Daniel 11:41.
- A Triple Application of Prophecy— The three woes are governed by the principle of a triple application of prophecy. That rule points out that when a prophecy is repeated three times, the first two fulfillments will establish the characteristics of the third fulfillment.
The first woe identified Islam bringing warfare against the armies of Rome. The Islam of that history was located in Arabia and was only to hurt the armies of Rome. Islam’s mode of warfare was to strike suddenly and unexpectedly. The history covered by the first woe is identified as the first great jihad by Islam.
The second woe identified Islam bringing warfare against the armies of Rome. The Islam of that history was located in Turkey and was to kill the armies of Rome. Islam’s mode of warfare was to strike suddenly and unexpectedly, but with added feature of explosives in that history. The history covered by the second woe is identified as the second great jihad by modern Islam.
Therefore: The third woe will be modern Islam bringing warfare against the armies of Rome. At the end of the world the armies of Rome are the armies of the United States. The Islam of this history will be worldwide and will first hurt the United States producing the social and political environment to bring about a Sunday law in the United States and then it will continue to escalate its warfare until the United States is thrown into the lake of fire. After the long drawn out war between papal Rome and spiritual Persia illustrated in Daniel 11:40 is accomplished in 1989 the key will have been turned that allows Islam to return into prophetic history again, and when it does its warfare will be to strike suddenly and unexpectedly with explosives, against the United States. This event took place on September 11, 2001 and modern Islam identifies that since that time they were now in the third great jihad.
Immediately after September 11, 2001 the president of the United States went to the United Nations and identified that the world was now in a world-wide war with Islam, and at that time a restraint has been placed upon Islam.
- Power, Seat and Great Authority— Christ portrays the end of a thing from the beginning of a thing. In Revelation 13:2 we are told that pagan Rome gave three things to the papacy. Pagan Rome gave its military power to the papacy starting with Clovis in 496 and continuing on through the Dark Ages. Pagan Rome gave its seat to the papacy when Constantine moved the capital of the Empire from the city of Rome unto Constantinople in the year 330. And pagan Rome gave its civil authority to the papacy in 533, when Justinian identified the pope of Rome as the corrector of heretics and the head of the churches. Pagan Rome gave three things to the papacy and removed three things for the papacy. It removed the Heruli, Ostrogoths and Vandals. The United States will accomplish this very work for the modern papacy. It will use its military and economic power to remove the king of the south, the glorious land and Egypt as identified in Daniel 11:40–43. It began to submit its military power to the papacy in the Reagan years when it formed a secret alliance to bring down the Soviet Union in 1989. It gave its moral “seat” of authority to the papacy in a two step process. The first step was when the churches of the USA closed their doors against the first angel’s message in 1842. Inspiration tells us that at this point the USA suffered a moral fall, but that the fall is progressive. The political arm of the USA had to submit to the moral authority of Rome as well, and this happened in the Reagan years when the secret alliance was formed.
The Bible asks the question:
Can two walk together, except they be agreed. Amos 3:3.
The other action that still remains is for the civil authority of the world to be given to the papacy. This is fulfilled in Revelation 17:
And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled. Verses 12, 13, 17.
To understand why the world civil authority of the ten kings is given to the papacy only requires that we understand why and how the civil authority was given to the papacy in the beginning, for God identifies the end of a thing with the beginning of a thing. What caused Justinian to identify the pope as the corrector of heretics was that his kingdom was being destroyed by the war trumpets of Revelation eight. There was also a religious argument taking place in the empire. Was the church in Rome or Constantinople the pre-eminent Christian church? In the midst of this crisis Justinian wrote his decree and gave the pope the authority to identify even Justinian himself as a heretic, thus surrendering the civil authority to the pope of Rome.
In fulfillment of their role in Bible prophecy, Islam is going to bring about an escalating crisis of warfare that will bring the world to its knees. First it prepares the way for the Sunday law in the USA and then the USA insists to the world that the only way that the problem of radical Islam can be resolved is for the entire world to brought under subjection of the United Nations, but to secure the deal—the pope of Rome will agree to sit as the moral authority of this three-fold union. Islam is the issue that provides the prophetic logic for the world-wide image of the beast to be forced upon the world.
Once all these prophetic characteristic of Islam are identified it is very simple to pull them all together and identify that on September 11, 2001 the third woe arrived in history—marking the starting point for the sealing of the 144,000. Hope this helps in your studies. Jeff.